Sunday 30 September 2012

My Stripy Alma blouse

Finished a few weeks ago, I waited and waited for hot weather to photograph my first version of Sewaholic's Alma blouse. But the weather didn't warm up so I just wore this for a few hours in the house to take some photos.
The aim was a wearable muslin and a wearable muslin was achieved! As usual with Tasia's patterns, the instructions were a breeze and the blouse a pleasure to put together. I used a piece of soft cotton fabric swapped at the Brighton Me-Made June meet-up. It came for Zoe's stash, so a very special piece indeed.
Mid way a sewing run, I realised I didn't have any suitable zip to go in. I tweeted my despair and Lizzy  mentioned that some people didn't use a zipper so I decided to baste and see how it went. What a delight, zipper-less it went.
The one thing I will change when I make the short sleeved version again is reduce the cap size. On my tiny shoulders it will look better a tad smaller.
I'm already making my second Alma, this time the long sleeved version in a gorgeous petroleum blue cotton type fabric with contrast cuffs and collar. Might be ready in a week or so and hopefully will still see some wear this year.

Have a lovely week ahead!

16 comments:

  1. Your makeup looks extra good today, makes you look younger. I put a zipper in my Alma but I never use it. I really like your necklinle variation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh I love it Susy, it really suits you. I am very tempted by this pattern, more and more as I see so many lovely version. I think I would be tempted to give it a go with the zip as well...they are my nemesis!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kat! Going ziperless made me very happy!

      Delete
  3. Very cute! I love omitting a zip whenEVER possible and those stripes just look adorable on you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue! Those stripes work great here.

      Delete
  4. Gosh Suzy, this is one cool Alma! I sincerely hope you regard it as more than just a wearable muslin...if I were you, I'd be wearing it at least every week ;o) Can't wait to see the next one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marie! I'll definitely wear it often, once Summer comes back though, lol.

      Delete
  5. It looks lovely in the stripes! I also found the sleeves very big on my skinny arms. Hop over to my blog and find my alma post - I just added a little inverted pleat - it works a treat and you will be much happier with the sleeves.
    Now I'm going to have to try this without the zipper..,

    ReplyDelete
  6. This style of top suits you, love how you have worked with the stripes...

    ReplyDelete
  7. its looking very pretty hun, I love the shape of the neckline

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love, love, love this with the stripes!Looks fantastic and I love the fact it is zip free! Win :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's adorable in the stripe with capped sleeves Suzy! SO effective and very glam. I'm interested that there's not always need for the zip....anyway, I'm actually in love with your version....if it is a muslin, it's so very wearable, you did good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's lovely! I do like the neckline. I'm on my second Alma too, and I agree that the instructions are a breeze to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pretty! Love the stripes and those sleeves are gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so lovely! The stripes look really good with that neckline. It's always nice to be able to omit a zipper. I think the sleeves are cute, but I agree that a reduced cap size would suit your small frame.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...