Wednesday 23 May 2012

Suzy Patterns: Design Inspiration

The main inspiration behind the next design for Suzy Patterns is the 1950s, the sea and the summer! All elements I adore.
Even though the first years of my life were spent far from the sea (inner Germany to be more precise) I moved to southern Portugal when still a child and remained there until I moved to the UK. Hot weather and the sea were natural and somehow mundane things. Popping to the beach at lunch time for a quick swim or after work was very normal and summer was always from May to September, uninterrupted.
Lazing on the beach with constant trips to the sea for a refreshing swim were a favourite of mine. And I loved the feel and taste of sea salt in my skin.
My parents are not "yacht" rich but I was lucky to have some friends whose parents were and those day trips out to sea were fantastic. On a hot day (proper hot, like at least 30 Celsius. No nonsense talk about 20 Celsius being hot ;)) feeling the wind as you travel by boat and diving in the cool sea water is beyond description.
(Sigh) Now I live in the UK where I am very, very happy but I do miss the hot weather and the sea. And I love to bits my other half but he's with the nonsense crowd of "20 Celsius is so, so hot";). There's no convincing him of Summer holidays anywhere southern of UK.

I decided to bring all these memories, inject some vintage elements I adore and create a pattern for the Summer. I've had delays: had to change design elements 3 times (once quite dramatically), my full time day job is reaching crucial deadlines and key staff has left, meaning many days working 8am to 8pm. I am also organising my wedding and the date for that is fast approaching. Saying that I am hoping I can pull it in time for Summer. Wish me luck!

7 comments:

  1. Hey I'm in if you need some testing done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck, I'm already looking forward to this pattern...your inspiration photos are gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness this is amazing! I think a lot of people will be looking for a pattern just like this for the summer. Good luck with everything on your plate right now. It's tough when your job becomes your life - hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've made me laugh! I remember the "20 is too hot" when we lived in the UK! I could never understand that it was the same people who complained about it being too cold in winter! Good luc with your new pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking at the inspiration pictures, I already know I will love your next pattern! I hope it all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the theme. I love the nautical theme of navy and cream stripes, inspiration for Chanel, obvs, but it's so classic and pretty!

    As ever, you're a clever suzy!!

    Bundana x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...