Saturday 25 February 2012

Renfrew: The first wearable muslin

Totally inspired and fired up by Lauren's awesome post on sewing with knits, I decided to tackle the Sewaholic Renfrew Pattern and managed to get a wearable muslin in no time at all. It is not perfect but it helped me figure out any potential fitting adjustments and any challenging bits to sew. I wore it today to go out to the garden to cut a shrub and replenish the wild bird feeder.
I used remnants of a knit fabric I had on my stash since I don't know when. The fabric wasn't quite enough so I omitted the waistband. I figured to assess fit I really don't need it. I found it a challenge to knit in corners (or at the edge of fabric) as the fabric kept bunching up underneath. Lauren suggests using a walking foot and I'll be putting in a order today. Other than that it was really easy and quick to do. I still cannot warrant buying an overlocker so used my normal machine with a zigzag stitch.
I really shouldn't stick my belly out, especially after eating!
I definitely want to sew up a few more versions of the Renfrew, especially the 3/4 sleeved with a cowl. Not sure when though, as I have quite a few things going on at the moment. Saying that, you could easily do one of these in an evening so might make a few more in preparation for Spring.

Do you sew with knits? Do you use a normal sewing machine or an overlocker?

12 comments:

  1. Nice! There's nothing more useful than a great fitting tee shirt pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like sewing on my sewing machine is they stretch too much as the overlock can change and stretch the original shape...

    cute top x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not overly confident with knits but bought about 15345 jerseys a couple of weeks ago to transform into some cute shirts. Your shirt inspires me to finally do so..... But then there is that other sewing project ;-) we'll see. Love your wellies too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember seeing a photos of those jerseys, they were gorgeous. Can't way to see what you do with them!

      Delete
  4. Great t-shirt Suzy! Walking/even-feed feet come up quite cheap on eBay - look for the US shop 'Gone Sewing' (seller name dafent) they also have their own non-eBay shop - where shipping to the UK is $3.33 regardless of the basket size :) Or, try Sew-Classic's webshop too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire, will definitely look it up!

      Delete
  5. I don't have an overlocker, or serger, so I just use my sewing machine and I have no trouble with it! I've yet to try something super slippery, though, I've mainly been sticking with cotton based knits.
    strugglesewsastraightseam.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just loved this pattern, but I had a rough time with the V neck. I ripped it out, even after it was top stitched down, because I just wasn't happy with my first attempt. My second attempt was much better and made the extra effort worth it. I also used my regular sewing machine, but I didn't think to use a walking foot. Great tip from Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the V neck was quite challenging and it's not perfect on this version.

      Delete
  7. It looks fantastic! I think everyone needs a stripey renfrew :) I'm so happy you are more confident working with knits now. Mission accomplished :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's looking good! I have both a regular machine and an overlocker. While the overlocker's nice, and will sew through difficult knits my regular machine won't touch, I find that for most things I don't actually need the overlocker. I do have a walking foot and while I don't use it much it's invaluable at times.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Im also impressed by the Renfrew and yes it is entirely possible to cut and sew in a short evening! even the cowl version. Yours is a great first fit - I've not made the v neck yet, but the other necklines sound more straightforward!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...