Wednesday 2 February 2011

My Sabrina Dress

I am about to start work on what I am already calling My Sabrina dress. Simply because it is a Sabrina dress...
Audrey Hepburn in Sabrina...featuring a Sabrina dress!
Have you ever watched this movie?
I will be using Simplicity 4808, dated 1954 on Vintage patterns Wiki. That's right, I will be making my first ever original vintage dress. Not a reproduction, not a inspired pattern, the real deal. How nerve wrecking and exciting at the same time!
"Junior Misses' Jumper with Two Skirts: "Simple to make" jumper may have a slim or full, gored skirt. Empire bodice has soft pleats at bustline and joins a midriff. A low, rounded neckline is featured. View 1 is outlines with top stitching at neck, armhole and midriff. View 2 shaped tab at center front neck edge is trimmed with buttons. Slim skirts has a pleat at lower edge of center back and soft pleats at front waistline."


After some of you expressed an interest on my twitter account, I have decided to make an indepth coverage of the making of this dress so look out for a lot of posts on tracing a vintage muslin, decipher it's instructions, make a muslin/toile (oh yes, muslin/toile is needed), cutting fabric, sewing final fabric, etc, etc, etc. I also think it will be interesting for those wishing to work with vintage patterns to read about my own experiences working for the first time with one. It might also help me, in getting tips and hints from more experienced vintage seamstress.
I do have a deadline for this dress but a very comfortable one so will take it easy and slowly. And of course, I will have a few sideline projects, as usual!

So next on My Sabrina Dress...Tracing a Vintage Pattern

7 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I will be following you on that project and I am very exited for you. It's such a cute pattern. I agree, very Sabrina!!! I am sure you will do great. Can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! I am super excited to see this dress...the pattern is so perfect for making the dress!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely! I can't wait to see how you get on! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful - I think this dress is going to look fantastic on you, and I love the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I am looking forward to it! I am sure you will handle it with ease!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is going to be great! I'm looking forward to following along. Why don't you join me in my Hepburn Hepburn Project?

    http://www.rhinestonesandtelephones.com/2011/01/improved-hepburn-hepburn-project.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you!! Quite excited to start work on this :)

    Sarah: Will have a look at that link now :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...