Started construction of the Simplicity 9769 corset today. I won this pattern on a competition from Sew Curvy Corsetry and chose it as it was the most simple. But simple it was not for me. I have to bare in mind that I've never attended any course on sewing plus only started using a sewing machine last month. Still, I hope I had more natural skills. Most of the corset is now done and only the binding is left to do, but there are a lot of mistakes with this piece and a lot of challenges were present.
- I've cut a size 8 and guess what? It's big.
- I also need to distinguish between right and wrong side of fabric and make sure when I sew pieces together I'm sewing the correct ones. In this case I was confused with what pieces where from the left side of corset and which ones where from right. When I figured out I found out some were cut wrong so the wrong side of fabric was showing. (don't know if you'll understand that sentence, lol
- The above also means the shape/ format of the corset is all wrong, as I sewed pieces wrong. (You can see the example at the front in the photo)
- I was too hasty and sewed parts before I should have done so.
- The eyelets were a bit challenging. They are very, very wonky and definitely not even.
- Be patient and read all instructions as many times as needed
- Learn how to grade and do fittings throughout construction
- Make the garment in cheap calico or muslin with long stitches
- Pay more attention to cutting and marking the garment
- And again, be patient!!
If you have more tips and advice for me, let me know!